Something different: Part 2
If you’re looking for something different to watch and have already watched all the movies in the Something different list, then check one of these out. Some of these are less accessible and I doubt you’ll like them all, but they again range from romantic comedies to sci-fi and dramas.
A taste of British
After a painful breakup, Ben develops insomnia. To kill time, he starts working the late night shift at the local supermarket, where his artistic imagination runs wild.
A 1970s-set comedy centered on three young working class friends in a dreary suburb of Reading.
A profile of Ian Curtis, the enigmatic singer of Joy Division whose personal, professional, and romantic troubles led him to commit suicide at the age of 23.
A coming-of-age story about a teenage girl in 1960s suburban London, and how her life changes with the arrival of a playboy nearly twice her age.
In a Fascist future where all forms of feeling are illegal, a man in charge of enforcing the law rises to overthrow the system.
A soldier wakes up in someone else's body and discovers he's part of a government program to find the bomber of a commuter train.
A man goes on the run after he discovers that he is actually a "harvested being", and is being kept along with others in a utopian facility.
The crew of the ship Serenity try to evade an assassin sent to recapture one of their members who is telepathic.
An astronaut becomes stranded on Mars after his team assume him dead, and must rely on his ingenuity to find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive.
A lonely writer develops an unlikely relationship with his newly purchased operating system that's designed to meet his every need.
A molecular biologist and his laboratory partner uncover evidence that may fundamentally change society as we know it.
A young programmer is selected to participate in a ground-breaking experiment in synthetic intelligence.
In 2002, an artistically inclined seventeen-year-old girl comes of age in Sacramento, California.
Little Miss Sunshine
A family determined to get their young daughter into the finals of a beauty pageant take a cross-country trip in their VW bus.
(500) Days of Summer
An offbeat romantic comedy about a woman who doesn't believe true love exists, and the young man who falls for her.
The Science of Sleep
A man entranced by his dreams and imagination is lovestruck with a French woman and feels he can show her his world.
A Quiet Place
A family is forced to live in silence while hiding from creatures that hunt by sound.
The Skeleton Key
A hospice nurse working at a spooky New Orleans plantation home finds herself entangled in a mystery involving the house's dark past.
Stranded at a desolate Nevada motel during a nasty rain-storm, ten strangers become acquainted with each other when they realize that they're being killed off one by one.
A television reporter and cameraman follow emergency workers into a dark apartment building and are quickly locked inside with something terrifying.
Milla, a seriously ill teenager, falls in love with a drug dealer, Moses, her parents worst nightmare.
Several ordinary high school students go through their daily routine as two others prepare for something more malevolent.
Sound of My Voice
A journalist and his girlfriend get pulled in while they investigate a cult whose leader claims to be from the future.
A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820's fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team.
A washed-up actor, who once played an iconic superhero, battles his ego and attempts to recover his family, his career and himself in the days leading up to the opening of his Broadway play.
A promising young drummer enrolls at a cut-throat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.
There Will Be Blood
A story of family, religion, hatred, oil and madness, focusing on a turn-of-the-century prospector in the early days of the business.
- 11:14 – The events leading up to an 11:14 PM car crash, from five very different perspectives.
- 99 Homes – A recently unemployed single father struggles to get back his foreclosed home by working for the real estate broker who is the source of his frustration.
- The Game – After a wealthy banker is given an opportunity to participate in a mysterious game, his life is turned upside down when he becomes unable to distinguish between the game and reality.
- The Impossible – The story of a tourist family in Thailand caught in the destruction and chaotic aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
- The Light Between Oceans – A lighthouse keeper and his wife living off the coast of Western Australia raise a baby they rescue from a drifting rowing boat.
- Little Children – The lives of two lovelorn spouses from separate marriages, a registered sex offender, and a disgraced ex-police officer intersect as they struggle to resist their vulnerabilities and temptations.
- Mary and Max – A tale of friendship between two unlikely pen pals: Mary, a lonely, eight-year-old girl living in the suburbs of Melbourne, and Max, a forty-four-year old, severely obese man living in New York.
- The Nice Guys – A mismatched pair of private eyes investigate the apparent suicide of a porn star in 1970s Los Angeles.
- Nocturnal Animals – A wealthy art gallery owner receives a draft of her ex-husband's new novel, and once she starts reading it she just cannot put it down.
- The Peanut Butter Falcon – Zak runs away from his care home to make his dream of becoming a wrestler come true.
- The Place Beyond the Pines – A motorcycle stunt rider turns to robbing banks as a way to provide for his lover and their newborn child, a decision that puts him on a collision course with an ambitious rookie cop navigating a department ruled by a corrupt detective.
- Seven Psychopaths – A struggling screenwriter inadvertently becomes entangled in the Los Angeles criminal underworld after his oddball friends kidnap a gangster's beloved Shih Tzu.
- Side Effects – A young woman's world unravels when a drug prescribed by her psychiatrist has unexpected side effects.
- Stranger Than Fiction – An IRS auditor suddenly finds himself the subject of narration only he can hear: narration that begins to affect his entire life, from his work, to his love-interest, to his death.
- What Happened to Monday – In a world where families are limited to one child due to overpopulation, a set of identical septuplets must avoid being put to a long sleep by the government and dangerous infighting while investigating the disappearance of one of their own.
- Wind River – A veteran hunter helps an FBI agent investigate the murder of a young woman on a Wyoming Native American reservation.
- Your Name – Two strangers find themselves linked in a bizarre way. When a connection forms, will distance be the only thing to keep them apart?
- Zombieland – A shy student trying to reach his family in Ohio, a gun-toting tough guy trying to find the last Twinkie, and a pair of sisters trying to get to an amusement park join forces to travel across a zombie-filled America.